Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sa Bubungan ng Mabini



Sa Bubungan ng Mabini
(At the Roof of Mabini)
By: Ian V. Martinez
29 January 2010

Oil on canvas
32.25 x 25 inches

I'm done with this! Though I thought I'd be as ecstatic as the woman portrayed in this painting, apparently I'm not. There are a few things I'd like to change, but cannot. I keep on telling myself to just move on and take whatever lessons I got from this canvas to my next paintings.


As I go along, I find myself more and more confident throwing in details or "suggestions of details." I can more boldly play with colors now and explore the way they interact, as I find myself more confident and less apprehensive in handling paint.

I am no longer fixated in applying a particular technique in paint application as before. With this, I found myself more interested in texture and composition.



If you must know, the scene is set on top of Mt. Gulugod Baboy, located in the Municipality of Mabini, Batangas. The chain of islands you see on the left side of the painting... I cannot quite remember the name, but that small island closest the woman's face is Sombrero Island. Beneath the waters of that island is a dive location called Beatriz. There you will encounter somewhat strong currents and because of this, the abundant soft coral gardens would come alive as they sway, fill up and expand, and ripple with the currents. I do not have words to describe the sight, sound and sensations underneath the waves near that island.


I originally thought of calling this painting "Happiness", for reasons some of you might be able to surmise. I however, decided to give my paintings Tagalog names to give tribute to the culture that I have always drawn upon when I needed inspiration.


Sa Bubungan ng Mabini, nakita ng aking mata, ang lahat ng maidudulot ng buhay kong ito, na tunay na magpapasaya sa akin.

No comments: