Monday, September 7, 2009

Until then, this...

I've asked Ms. Bernz to repose for a painting I had in mind which I've also rendered before in watercolor titled In Retrospect. I've changed my mind on the gesture and I intend to expand the coverage of the frame, hence I will need to revisit the site and reshoot the landscape as the sun goes down... again. I'd like to paint on-the-spot but the place is infested with mosquitos. I'm not that keen in catching dengue, mind you.

I've also asked Jowein and Mark to pose for another painting I have in mind titled: The Mountaineers, and Inner Glow. I've got the concept down on paper, and I've started my exploratory sketches months ago. They are just perfect for it. Jowein has that distinct oriental face that is framed just the right way by her curly locks, while Mark has that angular face and body disposition that to me, goes hand in hand with the features of Jowein, and the scene I'm building up.

I need to capture that image soon. When people age, even by just a few months, certain features drastically change.

I'm not that good with painting just yet, but photography will preserve that idea and moment for me until such time that my skills can do justice to my concepts.

Well, until then, I have this pool scene painting to finish. It's becoming more complicated as I progress along.


My problem here is that when I planned it, I meant to put that large space where the woman will be "wanting" to swim out to. I've angled the woman to have viewers anticipate that she will most likely swim out towards the empty side of the pool. But, what I didn't anticipate is the effect of that empty space on overall aesthetics.

My mind tells me it's too empty, yet introducing elements there will defeat my intentions. I may have to think this through.


No comments: