Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sufficiently Destroyed



As I worked on this image, I became agitated by its progress. It just wasn't doing anything for me. It was reflecting what I thought would be acceptable to others, not what I thought how it should be.

Then I came to reflect on some fond memories by going through old photographs in my computer of pictures of Mt. Guiting-Guiting, Mt. Tapulao before it was opened up for mining (again) and development, Mt. Ugo, Cutad Cove, Anawangin Cove, much much older photos of other mountains, landscapes and seascapes to remind me of days long gone. I once again saw faces, smiles and eyes of people I have not seen for years, but once, twice or too many times have shared laughter with in the past. I was reminded of people I haven't thought of for a while. These reflections brought with it pangs of regret in my chest.

I am everything my memories had made me to be. When I begin to forget, wont I forget me? The drawing did not matter anymore. I did not care what form I was shading in. I just needed to bury the tip of my lead deep and hard enough and as permanently as I could onto this piece of paper. If I was to fade, I will try to make sure that this simple drawing wont.


No comments: