Saturday, May 9, 2009

First Post

Hi!  My name is Ian.  I also go by my internet screen name "suntoksabwan" in various websites.  I reside comfortably in Antipolo City, Philippines, where the temperature is on average around 34C balmy and humid.  That should put things in perspective.
























I decided to come up with this blog to talk about my art and the process by which I would arrive at finished works.  By all intent and purposes, this is a creative journal.

I intend to be as honest as I can in trying to justify the placement and choice of elements in the paintings I am working on, as well as talk frankly about the motives behind the work itself.

I am not a professional artist.  I can barely come up with a finished work - even a pencil drawing, every month.  I'm not masquerading as an expert or even at least someone who knows what he is doing.  I simply want to talk about how I ended up with my art - which I think is the most undeniable proof I can leave behind to show that I have seen, felt, wished, wondered, imagined, introspected - existed and walked this earth trying to find my place in it along the way.

I don't have a large body of work.  I've sold some pieces and squandered the money to buy more rolls of canvas and brushes.  Right now, I have two stretched canvas staring out at me from the dining room, and about 8 sketches and schematics of ideas for future works.  










I am not at all comfortable with my skills just yet, and I am hesitant to touch brush to canvass lest I end up ruining a perfectly primed surface.  But then again, those rough sketches (really rough sketches which I think I am the only one who can decipher an image from) are annoyingly calling out to me.  

Every now and then, I'd lumber towards the dining table, throw open a sketch book and imagine my sketches in color, smile, and then be reminded of the hands given me...  close the sketch book and walk away with a heavy heart.

Though art brings me joy, many a times it ushers in despair into this life of mine.

No comments: